Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Playing it safe . . . or Not!

This morning I have been trying to straighten up my desk and get some things back in order after ignoring my paper work. I found a little piece of paper with a quote on it and I thought I would post it here. It is so appropriate to what I am doing now with a commission and painting oil paintings in the style of my pastels. Daunting task to say the least . . . but they are working quite nicely.

This quote was copied down from the old "Plein Air Magazine" of a few years ago. It was said by Frank La Lumia:

"If you crash and burn, so what? Surely, playing it safe won't take you where you want to be; and besides, the huge rewards of painting with this attitude more than make up for occasional setbacks."

We all need to follow these words, don't you think? Give me your thoughts and any quotes you have run across regarding playing it safe . . . or not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we need these little notes of encouragement -- we have a rule that when we are at the point of wanting to brush everything out & start over to STEP AWAY FROM THE EASEL -- DO NOT TOUCH THE PAINTING!
It's amazing how when we come back to it later (after some sleep & a fresh cup of coffee) it often looks much better than we thought. The quote we find helpful is "If A Lion Has Missed A Kill, It's Not the End of It's Life. It Tries Again Tomorrow."
Enjoyed the Blog!--Evelyn (& Mick)Brown