Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Wonderful Drawing Lesson

I am always looking at other artist's work and reading their blogs. Sometimes I come across exceptional subject matter and like to share it with my friends.

Here is an excerpt from an article I have been reading this morning about drawing. The web site is The Beginning Artist and is by Gary Gumble. I found him on a newsletter I read twice weekly -- Robert Genn. Gary has a wonderful way of teaching to help artists be able to learn without always being with their teacher. This is something I am trying to do with my Saturday only Mentoring Mini-Workshops once monthly in Woodstock.

Excerpt:
Only after getting my big shapes correct do I work my way through the rest of the drawing.
If there is any question in my mind about whether I am getting the position of something or its proportions correct, I use my pencil to measure, measure, measure.
"What’s with all this measuring stuff? Why can’t I just eyeball it?"
You can just eyeball it. It is only if you want things positioned and sized to match your subject that I recommend measuring this way.
Over time it teaches you to see proportions more accurately and it is a quick way to avoid mistakes in seeing.
This is not a method just for beginners. Experienced artists use this as well.
End of Excerpt:

And here is a link to one of the pages I was reading -- where the excerpt above is located: The Shapes of Things Drawing Art Lessons 1

I hope you enjoy looking his site over. There are many more pages than just the one I am directing you to. Have a look around his site. Let me know what you think also.

2 comments:

VickiRossArt said...

Love this Marsha! I'm so far behind with my Painter's Keys newsletters (as well as other things) so I'm glad you prodded me to be sure and catch up!

Marsha Hamby Savage said...

Thanks Vicki! Hope you can catch up on your reading. I try to read a small amount while drinking my first cup of coffee in the morning!
Have a good day.