Pages

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mentoring Mini-Workshops in Woodstock GA

Classes will be held on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. on one Saturday per month. This is a new format for my teaching. Each mini-workshop will focus on a particular aspect of painting theory along with instruction on techniques in pastel, oil or acrylic. Each mini-workshop will be intensive and fun. There will be loads of discussion along with the planning and painting. This is to help students learn how to help themselves learn, critique their own efforts, and allows time between workshops to work on their own.



Schedule: 
Sat., January 16 -- Value


Sat., March 13 -- Design and Composition


Sat., April 3 -- Temperature


Sat., May 1 -- Color

The cost is $75 for the 5-hour class. Materials can run anywhere from $40 to $100 depending upon what type of painting medium you use. And, you may need to bring your own easel, but talk to me about this. Painting is from photographs or still life setups. Weather permitting during spring and fall we try to go outside for a class or two for some "plein air" instruction! My classes usually fill up in a hurry, so if you are interested, please e-mail ASAP at marshasavageart@yahoo.com ! A $25 deposit is required to assure you a spot in the class, assure me that you are serious, and a supply list will be sent. Normally the deposit is due at least two weeks before the session starts . . . so . . . if you are interested, please e-mail me for an address to send the deposit or discuss questions.

Instruction is appropriate for beginners and advanced students as each student receives individual instruction and critiques. I will also do demonstrations of the theory being discussed each session. I paint in all three mediums, but have focused on teaching pastel for the past several years. My teaching is basic principles of good painting and does apply to all mediums. Technique emphasis is on application of the medium in a way you wish to paint - whether it is realist, abstract, impressionist, or somewhere inbetween! You most likely will not produce a "finished" pretty painting. My emphasis is on starting correctly and not about me painting on your piece. Of course, we never forget to think about drawing and aerial perspective.

There will be a "framing" workshop scheduled at my home -- so if you are interested, please e-mail me. I held one this past fall and it was a huge success and several students that could not attend have asked me to do anther one.

I have been teaching in Smyrna for about eight years, previously at Concord Gallery and for about a year and a half before that at the Mable House located between Smyrna and Mableton, GA. The Concord Gallery closed its doors just before Thanksgiving in 2004, so I have been holding classes with the City of Smyrna at their Community Center located in downtown Smyrna on Atlanta Road. It was time to try a different format for teaching, a little more student friendly, and closer to my home!

E-mail me at marshasavageart@yahoo.com to put your name on the list for any session and I will send you a supply list. If you need to discuss anything by phone, I'll send you the phone number by private e-mail. Hope to hear from you!

No comments: