Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New style of classes coming soon!

Here is the plan in its enfancy!

This is a shot from one of my Smyrna Classes last year or so.

I decided last fall that December of 2009 would be the end of my weekly classes in pastel -- even though I had backed them down to every other week. I needed a break and wanted to think about my own art for more time than I was getting! I did plan some mini-workshops here in Woodstock -- on a Saturday so more people could have an opportunity to come. We studied composition, value and temperature. I have missed my teaching and have been thinking of something I want to do a little different than I have in the past.

Now . . . we are moving back to Smyrna -- this is where my husband and I grew up -- and where parents, siblings, children and grandchildren are living and it will be so much easier to see them.

I did enjoy the mentoring mini-workshops. Many students told me they were learning more than they had in other classes. That my way of teaching these was exactly what they had been looking for! So . . . here is a little of what I am thinking and planning. It is not set in stone yet -- just ideas that are still in the formative stages.

I plan to put out a calendar by e-mail to my previous students, and potential students that have asked to be on my mailing list. It will cover several weeks and most likely a couple of months. You must e-mail me or call and let me know you are interested in these sessions. That is the only way you will receive my address. This is more of a security type of thing for me. If you don't know me, then you need to establish some type of contact with me so I can get to know something about you and where you are in your art.



The calendar will tell you what days I plan to be in the studio and that I will have it open to students wishing to come paint with me! There will be a small charge for the amount of time you are there. I am thinking maybe 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM and most weeks, I will be available on two different days of each week. I am calling this an "open mentoring session class". At this time I am thinking the charge will be $20. And, you can paint in the medium of your choice. My thinking is this is not a session for beginners. You must have some experience in your medium, as this is more about advancing to the next level of your art.

You don't have to give me a plan as to what days you are coming. You can call me, e-mail, or just show up. Of course, letting me know would be good, but I will be there and if you can come at the last minute, you can do so. If I must change for some reason, there will be a posting on my blog. Students can check the blog before leaving to come and will know something has happened for me to cancel that day. I don't foresee that happening, but there must be a way to notify those students that haven't called or e-mailed. You just never know when there is an emergency that I can't foresee!

The sessions might be just painting on something of your choice, or on something specific. It might be divided between discussions on some aspect of painting that is needed, like the mini-workshops I had earlier this year. It could be critique of work, or looking at past artists and discussion about their life, inspirations, etc. Weather permitting we might plein air! You can let me know what you need!

So, if you are interested, please e-mail me or call and let me know your thoughts. Again, it won't happen until at least after I return from my six-week trip out West (November 15 I'll be home), and most likely not until after Jan. 1, 2011.


Here is a shot from a workshop I gave in Blue Ridge, GA.

And one more from my Smyrna classes.
Hope to hear from you!

No comments: