Pages

Monday, November 20, 2017

Painting Falling Water

Demonstration Painting and Studies


14" x 11" Pastel of Dry Falls

This "rather long" blog post is about my love of doing subject matter in a series sometimes. I hope you enjoy the conversation and seeing a little into my days and weeks of being an artist!

Though this was a demonstration, it is "finished" because I don't want to lose the freshness of it, but not as finished as many of my paintings. It is a pastel. It was a demo for the IAPS (International Assoc. of Pastel Societies) convention this past June in Albuquerque NM.  I demonstrated for Ampersand who create the Pastelbord that I use 99% of the time and also Terry Ludwig Pastels.

Here is my recent Studio Painting!

"Dry Falls Wonder" 24" x 18" Pastel


This painting is from the same photograph, but done in the studio and has been taken a lot further with details. I still feel it retains a freshness, but with addition of other added elements. This waterfall is "Dry Falls" in North Carolina. I have painted it several times in different formats, from different angles, etc. It seems to inspire me any time I see it, or my photos!

I'm going to show you other waterfalls or cascades I have done in the past year, some are also in progress, but I love the direction they are going in.


11" x 14" Pastel Demo





The next one (to the right), also a pastel, is another demo at the above mentioned convention. And, it is the same waterfall just from a different perspective! This one is a little less finished, but I'm not sure I will do anything more to it. Again, I love the freshness of the marks.
 
Below is a 20" x 16" from near Monteagle Tennessee, and is from a photo I took in a park called "Fiery Gizzard." What a name right?

"Musical Waters" 20" x 16" Pastel
16" x 12" Pastel Demo



The one to the right is the same waterfall as above (Dry Falls again), and also was the last demonstration painting I did at the Pastel Convention in Albuquerque... I don't think this one is finished enough, so there will be some adjustments in the future!



Below is an oil painting of a waterfall in the Blue Ridge, GA area. This painting is 16"x20" and was recently in a local show, and found a new home! Thank you to the friends that purchased this one!

"Freshness" Oil 16"x20"
Be sure to check out my website for some of my "water and rock" paintings. www.marshasavage.com

No comments: