Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

How do you feel about selling your work? Part 2!

River Path, Oil 12x36" at Magnolia Gallery, in Greensboro, GA

Where are you showing your work?

In Part 1, I mentioned many different places I show my work: Facebook, Pinterest, a personal blog, Daily Paintworks, Etsy, Fine Art America, art organizations, other on-line sites. I use all of these! But, there are many more. 


Let's start with galleries

Are you in a gallery? If you are not, is it something you want to pursue? It does require a bit of "thick skin" to send your portfolio to galleries, or to call them and ask their procedure for submitting your work to them for consideration. Is there a gift shop that you think is appropriate for your work, or some other retail location that wants your work. Do you have friends that have mentioned your work might fit wonderfully in "thus and such" location? Follow up on these leads. Do not get caught up in someone else saying, "I won't show except in a gallery." Do what is best for you. 

So, where else can you physically show your work with a chance for it to sell?

Think outside the box ... an over used expression, but very good advice. Be creative about where! Do you paint horses? So, put them in a place that caters to people that own horses, and where they purchase the paraphernalia that goes along with owning or riding horses! Dog portraits, same thing ... where do dog lovers go? Flowers ... how about a flower shop, or a nice nursery that has gifts? Are you beginning to see where I am going with this?

Have a home show ... your home, or the home of a friend. Make it a party. Make it about the connections you or your friend has. Have little note cards with images of your work on them as door prizes, or gift to attendees. Think of a way to "give" as well as wanting people to purchase! Offer to install the piece for them if they purchase! Take a photo of it hanging, give them a Certificate of Authenticity, and provide them with a receipt ... all this so they can give it to their insurance company to prove the insurance value. Added value is a big deal right now to many people.

The painting above was painted this year, and is going to a gallery this week. 


It was first shown at my solo show in Blue Ridge, GA in April. When I brought it home, I submitted it to the Oil Painters of America Eastern Regional, but it was not accepted. So, I have taken steps to have it seen, and hopefully place it in position for a potential sale! It is being taken this week to a new gallery for me: Magnolia Gallery, Greensboro, GA. I will also be taking a 24x36, another oil painting to the same gallery. I will be picking up two large pastels, 36x24, that were there for the Women Painters of the Southeast show in April. Those two will come home with me and hopefully my gallery in Marietta, Frameworks Gallery, will want them.

Next time we will talk about social media and on-line sites. If you have suggestions I did not mention above, let me know and I'll do my best to find some research ... ask my friends if they have used "it."

Keep painting ... or producing if another type of art ... keep on showing up in the studio or workshop!





No comments: